I have been nominated by Krista for the Liebster Award. To be enjoying my writing so much and then to be nominated for this award, I am totally appreciative and humbly grateful for this honour. I have to say that you must take a visit to Krista’s blog. Krista is the founder of Krista Kemp Designs on Etsy, https://fromfoodstampstoafuture.wordpress.com/. You will find displayed her creative works to match her creative, and charming personality. Her passion for her craftwork is clearly demonstrated in her unique and humorous account of her projects. What shines through Krista’s blogs is also her dedication, commitment and down to earth account of her projects and her ambitions and aspirations for the future. Undeterred by personal commitments and challenges, like us all, she is following her dream, her true calling.
So it leaves me to say: Thank you VERY much for the Nomination Krista!
Liebster Award Rules:
1 – Thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog.
2 – Answer the 10 questions given by the nominator.
3 – Nominate and Link 10 bloggers.
4 – Notify all the bloggers that you have nominated.
5 – Create 10 new questions for your nominees to answer.
Questions (for me) from Krista (Krista Kemp Designs on Etsy):
1. What is your favorite music?
I must have music in my life. Since I was a young girl, I have had a keen interest in different genres of music: Reggae is my mainstay music. For those mellow moment, I like Lovers Rock (this is like love songs to a soft reggae beat for those not familiar with this!). Or I like to listen to Smooth Jazz sounds, especially when I’m in the mood to hear some saxophone drones or the dulcet voice of a Jazz singer from a bygone age. For mediation or relaxation, I like to listen to New Age music. Having travelled to Africa, I am currently hooked on Afro beats and Afro Pop, quite infectious! I feel the same about Calypso, Soca! I also have a place in my heart and music collection for R’n’B. You can give R’n’B all the fancy names that come and go but good quality, classy R’n’B is here to stay! Motown, Funk, and, Dance Pop all get a mention for me. Salsa music also gets a look in with me, especially as I’m trying to learn it, it’s harder than it looks, but fun! Lastly but not least, I grew up with Gospel music, even country gospel music. When I have to dig deep and the going gets tough, Gospel music speaks to my soul.
2. If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only take one thing with you, what would it be?
I’d like to say matches but my hands would just get sweaty rubbing two sticks together! Then I was going to say mosquito spray, no joke! Whenever I go to the Caribbean or Africa, the mosquitoes shout “New blood! New blood! Come on guys let’s get her!!” However, I could say an inflatable raft so that I can get off the island! But then, the sharks could get me! I will say a moisturizing lipstick.! Yes a moisturizing lipstick. I’m a positive person, I will be rescued and will look a million dollars when I am rescued!
3. When you were a kid, what did you say you wanted to be when you grew up?
An Air Hostess – I wanted to travel and meet new people and places. An Artist, living abroad with a book shop with artists selling their work in one section of the shop. A Fashion Designer – I was passionate about clothes, I would design and make my own clothes.
4. If you could go any place in the world, where would you go?
I’d like to go to Italy, South America, more Caribbean Islands and to see ancestral trails. Years ago I wanted to visit the 7 wonders of the world. However, as I get older the 7 wonders of the world seem to change dependent on who compiles the lists for the Wonders of the World!
5. What is your favorite movie?
I have more than one as they each cater to a genre which touches me. ‘The Color Purple’ – what an epic emotional rollercoaster of female bonding and empowerment this movie put me through and it was good to see black actors portraying a wide variety of characters and excelling in their craft. ‘The Pursuit of Happyness‘ with Will Smith and his son Jaden – such a moving true story of never giving up, believing in yourself and to keep striving for your dreams even in the face of adversity. When I was doing ‘A’ levels, I remember my teacher who also doubled as a ‘career’s advisor’ asked me what I wanted to do. I said I wanted to be a Fashion Designer. She said, “You’re a talented artist but it’s really difficult getting into that type of work“. I never took that route and I have regretted it ever since. If I had that time back, I would have nurtured my self belief, taken the risk and gone for it. I am always moved to tears when Will’s character, Chris Gardner, as struggling salesman, battling financial problems and homeless, says to his son:
”Hey. Don’t ever let somebody tell you… You can’t do something. Not even me. All right? You got a dream… You gotta protect it. People can’t do something’ themselves, they wanna tell you that you can’t do it. If you want something’, go get it. Period.” – In Pursuit Of Happyness.
‘Imitation of Life’ (b/w) – this is a memorable movie for me. I was a young girl watching this movie on a Saturday afternoon. The story line is relevant today as it was then. It is about a mother Annie (Juanita Moore) and daughter’s Sarah Jane (Susan Kohner) estranged relationship. Sarah Jane can pass for white. When her boyfriend and friends find out she is black, she is assaulted and ostracized. Sarah Jane starts on a downward cycle of self-hatred and the end is very sad. Good, thought-provoking movie. Also stars Lana Turner. (I couldn’t remember her name!) This movie highlighted the ‘color’ game and unfortunately we see people being judge by their color, race et right up to this very day. The message that comes through too is the relationship between a mother’s undying an unconditional love for her self-obsessed daughter, who realizes too late how much she really did love her mother.
6. If you could pass on one piece of advice to others, what would it be? Believe in yourself. Don’t be afraid to be different, to be talented, to be pretty, to be naturally gifted in whatever God blessed you with. Trust that gut feeling, it is protecting you!
7. What has been your favorite blog post (that you have written) thus far? Creative Pain. It will be in competition with the future work that will be coming out.
8. What would you say your greatest quality is?
My greatest quality? Inner strength and love for people. I have a knack for always rising when the odds seem against me. I share my experience with others and I am very much about empowering others. My inner strength, allows me to reach out to others, not only in serious matters but to touch them with humour and laughter.
9. If you could choose one of these cars, which one would it be? A 1969 Dodge Charger or a Ferrari. For me, it would have to be a Ferrari all the way! Yes, I can see me now, scarf around my head, in topless Ferrari, driving along an Italian cliff near the sea coast. (No not to drive off the cliff!) There would be blue skies and a hot sun, good music playing. Great!
10. What is one thing blogging has taught you? That I should have done this along time ago! I am very new to blogging and I am enjoying the experience much more than I ever thought I would. Following my own path has kept me focussed on my own work and style. I’m grateful for the positive feedback from the blogging community and I look forward to being part of encouraging new bloggers to this world. Essentially, blogging is, like life, teaching me that I am learning something new every day!
Chelsea at Intentional Three Six Five
Glaiza at Glimmer of Happiness
Kelli at Elm Street Girl
Neghar at http://www.negharfonooni.com/
TJS at TJS Old to New
Trista at Domesticated Momster
Jessica Jeeae Lee at https://pressingintothedawn.wordpress.com
Questions for my Nominees:
1. If you wanted to make a difference to someone’s life, who would it be and why?
2. If you could be anywhere in the world by the end of the year, where would you choose and why?
3. Have you had a “Never again!” moment? What did you do to move forward or what did learn from this moment?
4. What one beauty treatment makes you feel a million dollars and why?
5. Have you faced a fear and done it anyway?
6. As you get older, what is your biggest fear and why?
7. If you had to choose the top item in your bucket or wish list, what would it be and why?
8. Alone time or lonely? How do you view this time?
9. You have the chance to take your family and friends anywhere in the world, where would you go?
10. What have you learnt about yourself as a Blogger?
Thank you for taking the time to do this, much appreciated.